XIncludes and href

Mark Johnson mjohnson at redhat.com
Thu Mar 31 19:59:42 UTC 2005

> Does anyone have any experience of these, as they are doing my head in?

I do. They are used for different purposes, though. xref's are for
cross-referencing:

http://sagehill.net/docbookxsl/CrossRefs.html#IdrefLinks

Whereas XIncludes are used to pull another doc into your doc. This provides an
alternative to using the "external file as entity" method, and provides for
greater flexibility in document composition. (e.g. your XIncluded docs can have
prologs) Gotta be careful that your xslt processor knows about XInclude, though.
I believe there's a switch for xsltproc... At any rate, I again point you to Bob
Stayton's "DocBook XSL" as a reference - pretty sure he covers the essentials:

http://sagehill.net/docbookxsl/ModularDoc.html#UsingXinclude

You might also want to post any specific questions you have to the docbook-apps
list - response time is surprisingly quick.

HTH.

Cheers,
Mark

Mark Johnson                     <mjohnson at redhat.com>
OS Product Documentation
Engineering, Red Hat, Inc.       <http://www.redhat.com>
Tel: 919.754.4151                Fax: 919.754.3708
GPG fp: DBEA FA3C C46A 70B5 F120  568B 89D5 4F61 C07D E242