[RFC] dumping the CED in favor of local variables

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed May 4 19:31:43 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-28 at 08:43 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 17:09 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-04-27 at 16:50 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> > > I'd like to recommend we dump the usage of CED files in favor of the
> > > local variables designation.  The CED file is a pre-compiled DTD subset.
> >
> > For the record, this is a *complete reversal* of my previous position.
> > If Dave Pawson is lurking out there, he can laugh at me.  The rest of
> > you who care can swift-kick when you see/meet me next.
> >
> > After working with the local variable, I am willing to undergo the pain
> > to change over to it.  If there is even any pain.
> >
> > The only problem is _mixing_ the two formats.  If I write using the
> > Local Variable and you load the CED file, our indenting will be off.  At
> > the least, diffs will be noisy.
> >
> > > <!-- Keep this comment at the end of the file
> > > Local variables:
> > > mode: xml
> > > xml-parent-document:("parent-file.xml" "book" "chapter")
> > > End:
> >
> > D'oh!
> >
> > that should be:
> >
> > sgml-parent-document:("parent-file.xml" "book" "chapter")
> >
> > I did s/sg/x/g without verifying. :)
>
> Karsten, I'm having a big problem with this on my system.  I am looking
> at the style chapter you committed to CVS last night.  Although the
> indenting works *somewhat*, using the Emacs "C-c <" command to get a tag
> list is completely screwed up now.  I am not using a .ced file at all.
>
> Here's a blow-by-blow example:
>
> 1. From shell, "emacs docs-style-en.xml"
> 2. Move to line 13, right below the <title> element for the <chapter>
> 3. Use Emacs command "C-c <" to get a tag list
> 4. The sole completion is </chapter>!
>
> Obviously, I should be able to open a new <para> here without a problem.
> When using DTD loading/parsing with .ced files, it worked flawlessly.
> Now, at first I thought this might be some weird artifact of my using
> the emacs RPMs from Jens Petersen's emacs-cvs-testing repository, but
> not so.  I reverted to the standard emacs-21.3-21.FC3 that's in Core +
> updates, and the same problem occurs.
>
> Does no one else have this problem?  If you're going to test this,
> please remember the system documenting guidelines... open up a new
> account, and follow the instructions in the current Doc Guide release to
> test.  If you're an Emacs expert, you probably have all sorts of cool
> stuff going on which to me, to quote Arthur C. Clarke only slightly out
> of context, is indistinguishable from magic.
>
> If someone can show me what I'm doing wrong, then great, I'm all for
> improvements.  If not, then let's leave well enough alone.  The number
> of people adding tags to parent files in guides is relatively small,
> compared to the number of people who will -- or should, by the guidance
> we've set up -- be editing single-file tutorials where this isn't a
> concern.

A long thread reproduced with a short outcome:  The local variables work
great for me now.  I'm not sure what we did to fix it, but Karsten gave
me advice and moral support -- likely PEBKAC (as K. says).  I am using
local variables in the Installation Guide and they will appear in the
new Documentation Guide as well when we get a Round Tuit.