research on using the GFDL

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu May 5 13:24:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 21:54 -0500, Thomas Jones wrote:
> So should we be referring to the LDP Author Guide as the preferred
> document model? At least in the context of new releases.
>
> i.e. "expected" hierarchical structure
>
> http://tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide/html/index.html

Most of these guidelines have been hashed out on fedora-docs-list since
2003, so we do have our own "template."  Although not every document
we've produced follows the guidelines strictly (thus "guidelines" and
not "rules"), every new document has been increasingly compliant.  Our
Documentation Guide and the new example tutorial will cover our
guidelines in exhaustive detail, perhaps even elevating some to the
"rule" level, but those have yet to be completed.  If you have questions
about the document model, for now I'd encourage ou to ask them here on
the list, or refer to some of the examples in CVS.

> Within section A.1 of the above resource, there are numerous templates
> for various documentation structures that the editorial team can review
> for application in fedora-docs.

The article format has been pretty much beaten into shape, and that
provides for (I would guess) over 90% of our projected documents.
Certainly for any other formats, I would think the project is open to
looking at any existing templates and evaluating how we can make use of
them here.