Updated Hardening guide.

tuxxer tuxxer at cox.net
Wed May 11 00:11:32 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 15:42 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> tuxxer wrote:
>
> >Beat me up again guys and gals.  ;-)
> >
> >http://members.cox.net/tuxxer
> >http://members.cox.net/tuxxer/fedora-hardening-guide-whole-en.xml
> >
> >XML also posted to bug #129957.
> >
> >-Charlie
> >

> Hello Charlie
>
> A quick review:
>
> http://members.cox.net/tuxxer/ch-intro.html
>
> I think you should just drop the first two sentences. If the current
> list of vulnerabilities would just keep growing then it would imply that
> Linux is getting more insecure everyday
>
> " As more and more users start trying and using linux, it will become
> more and more important for the common user to know how to harden his or
> her system against these threats. The current list of vulnerabilities in
> linux systems will continue to grow as linux gains more momentum in the
> home desktop environment."

The implication here is that as Linux gains more popularity, more
malicious-ness will be directed towards it.  There are very few linux
malware specimens, and it simply doesn't get the scrutiny Windows does
by people with mal-intent because it doesn't have the same widespread
user foot print.  IMHO this will change as linux becomes more
predominant.  Maybe I can rephrase it a bit.

> http://members.cox.net/tuxxer/services-gui.html#services-gui-2
>
> sendmail - Sendmail is a Mail Transport Agent.
>
> This deamon is also used to send critical mails to root users by default
> which also contains logwatch reports and other security related
> informatio. You typically should modify the MTA configuration to send
> mails to your normal user account instead of disabling it.

Removed from the suggested disable list.

> http://members.cox.net/tuxxer/gui-update.html
>
> The "customizationn observation" note is better done as generic
> statement that applies to the whole of the document that everything is
> assumed to be in the default locations.

Gotcha.  That'll go in the scope statement.

> http://members.cox.net/tuxxer/userconfig-cli.html#userconfig-gui
>
> " By default, the *User Manager* will filter all of the "unnecessary"
> users, by designating them as "default" or "system" users"
>
> The system users cannot be called as unnecessary. They just arent
> required typically.  If a system user is definitely not required in any
> of the potential roles then thats  a packaging and security bug

Done.

> http://members.cox.net/tuxxer/iptables-fw-config.html
>
> SELinux is totally unusable for all practial purposes in FC2.  Just drop
> the following sentence which also contains a mispelled word. You might
> want to run your document through a spell checker after every major
> revision.  "It will also allow you to change the SELinux settings,
> however that discussion is currentply outside of the scope of this document"

The guide has been updated for FC3, so as to not be relegated to the
Legacy docs group.  Also, the only reference to SELinux is that you
*can* configure it here.  It is out of the scope of this document.
Misspelling is fixed.  I have actually run it through aspell, several
times.  Interesting that that didn't get picked up.

> http://members.cox.net/tuxxer/ch-bibb-n-refs.html
>
> All of these websites should be hyperlinks

Done.

> regards
> Rahul

Thanks.  Please check again.  The html and XML should be available
immediately.

--
-tuxxer

echo "uvyyfsAdpy/ofu" | perl -pe 's/(.)/chr(ord($1) - 1)/ge'
gpg:  57EB F948 76AE 25BC E340  EFA9 FAF6 E1AC F1E1 1EA1