Updated Hardening guide.

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri May 13 12:35:15 UTC 2005

You see, editing *is* a constant process!  This is the last go round and
I promise I won't do this again.  Sorry all.

On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 08:27 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > "For each service listed, the Service Configuration utility will display
> > a short description, and the current status and process ID (PID) of the
> > service, if it is running."
>
> That should be:
>
> "For each service listed, the Service Configuration displays a short
> description, and the current status and process ID (PID) of the service,
> if it is running."
>
> Another style rule:  Use present tense!  :-)

The narrative should also describe the tool as it actually works.  The
SC tool doesn't display the descriptions unless you actually *select* a
service.  (I also made a typo and omitted a word.)  Since the sentence
would then be getting a little too long, it needs to be split, and in
doing so, let's eliminate that gerund at the end too.  By using an
adjective instead, we can even improve the sentence flow to emphasize
what the utility shows the reader.  Remember that the end of a sentence
is where the most "kinetic energy" is stored -- a phrase placed there
has more "oomph" potential.  Try this:

"When you select a service, the Service Configuration utility displays a
short description.  If the service is active, the utility also displays
the current status and process ID (PID)."

All right, no more replies to myself on list.  I'll just slap myself in
the face quietly if I catch anything else wrong. :-)