.cvsignore files

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue May 17 01:25:11 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 18:10 -0700, tuxxer wrote:
> So it is bad form to 'make html' and include the output in the CVS
> update?  Or is it completely personal preference?

No, you definitely should not add the HTML build to CVS.  It's redundant
since the XML source is already there, and it will almost instantly be
useless if someone is pulling down the XML source to contribute to it.

If you don't use a .cvsignore file, you'll get a little message from CVS
any time you do a "commit," or some other functions.  (Assumption:  the
tutorial name is "my-tutorial," and it builds English language HTML in
"my-tutorial-en," as our normal Makefile template would do.)

? my-tutorial-en

If the message bugs you -- and it is a distraction to some -- then you
can create a .cvsignore file in the same directory as your XML source
files and your Makefile that reads:

.cvsignore
my-tutorial-en

That makes CVS ignore both the HTML build directory and the .cvsignore
file itself.  You won't get any weird question-mark messages, and the
HTML will be excluded from your commits.  As per Tommy's earlier
comments, you could leave out the line in .cvsignore that reads
".cvsignore," and add the .cvsignore to your module so that anyone who
checks out your module will also have the HTML build dir ignored (since
the .cvsignore file will come down with the module).

Clear as mud?