Advise on Fedora RPM's

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Sat Nov 19 12:35:09 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-18 at 23:57 -0600, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> 1) A development RPM that's just a copy of everything that's in the
>    CVS tree for a document.  I guess this would be the foo.src.rpm
>    package.  Installing this RPM would instantiate the files in
>    /usr/src/redhat or ~/rpm, I guess.

An export of the CVS tree, yes.

> 2) A gnome help package with just the XML files, figures, callouts,
>    and the like.  I guess this would be a foo.noarch.rpm, similar to
>    the RPM's your Makefile changes produce.  Installing this RPM
>    would populate the /usr/share/fedora/doc tree and drop some
>    desktop files in place, too.

Sounds good.

>    Generating this RPM would actually explode into separate
>    foo.en.noarch.rpm or foo.zn_CH.noarch.rpm packages depending on
>    the ${LANGUAGES} make(1) macro.  Or should all translations stay
>    in a single package with per-locale subdirs?

The latter. It doesn't matter if the SRPM ends up being hundreds of
megabytes as one shouldn't need it other than in exceptional
circumstances.

> 3) An RPM containing the formatted HTML/PDF content, suitable for
>    browsing and printing.  What could this be called?  foo.i386.rpm?
>    I don't know of a good (standard) place for these files to go at
>    install time.

HTML and PDF are arch-independent so they would be noarch. And they
should go in the standard doc location, i.e., /usr/share/doc.

> I've thought about methods to generate the various RPM components,
> such as the .spec files.  I found a neat program that lets a shell
> script extract arbitrary content from an XML document:
>
> 	http://xmlstar.sourceforge.net/
>
> and have gotten it working on FC4.  Built an RPM for it so we can add
> it to Fedora Extras if we decide to keep it.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-list/2005-July/msg00591.html
The thread explains why it's not in yet. Summary: ambiguous command
name.

> Anyone have a clear enough understanding of what the RPM packaging
> should be that they can explain it to a total dunce like me?  Perhaps
> you could take one of the more complete documents, such as the
> release notes, and show me the directory hierarchy produced by
> installing each of the RPM types I mentioned above.  (Or whatever the
> correct complement of RPM's should be.)

If you can walk me through handling the stuff in CVS, possibly in
#fedora-docs, then I can take a look at it.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://fedora.ivazquez.net/