Advise on Fedora RPM's

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Mon Nov 21 00:21:57 UTC 2005

Uttered "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com>, spake thus:

> > I can't find precedent for this approach, though.  Can you point to
> > a package set using the "foo-<lang>-*" template?
> Ahh, yes.  See e.g. koffice-langpack-* in Extras I think.  I haven't
> looked at the SRPM yet.

NOT COUNTING KDE!! I'm kidding.  Maybe that should be "I'm kdeing" ;-)

> > About the "Documentation/<lang>" groups, I don't know.  I'm intrigued
> > though, so I'll look at the anaconda stuff to see what needs to be
> > done.
> I thought this was underway in Anaconda, but doesn't even that revolve
> around comps?

Dunno.  I'm looking.

> > I don't consider having the author team maintain one overhead file for
> > RPM generation much of a burden.
> Agreed there.  I think it would be cool if we simply required one extra
> file, an XML one based on the DTD you provided.  All authors and
> translators could update that, and everything needed to press the spec,
> OMF, .desktop, etc. would come out of that file at build time.

If you can send me the prototype OMF, et.al., I may find time to
produce some XSL stylesheets to do the necessary transformation from
the funky XML info file into an OMF or a SPEC and be able to eschew
any additions to Fedora Extras.

Cheers