xmlstarlet (was: Re: Advise on Fedora RPM's)

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazquez at ivazquez.net
Mon Nov 21 02:53:49 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-11-20 at 17:21 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> > * [footnote]
> > Someone pointed out that the Fedora Extras folk have been discussing
> > the xmlstar tool but so far have avoided in because of the "ambiguous
> > package name".  Even its author uses at least three different names
> > for it on the web pages.  With the power of an RPM patch file, we can
> > include the tool using any name we like.  With proper attribution in
> > the SPEC file, we can name it anything we like.  No huhu.
>
> It looks like from the discussion you referenced that the original
> packager has dropped out of the running.  Shall I email him and see if
> he minds me picking up the package instead?  I don't mind patching it
> and getting it into FE if it will help us move down this road by the
> time of FC5t2 or t3.

I wouldn't say I've "dropped out"; I haven't heard from upstream and
have been too busy to deal with it. If you want it then by all means
take it.

Also, it wasn't the package name but the binary name. "xml" was
designated to be too generic. I did have a patch for it IIRC; let me
look around.

--
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazquez at ivazquez.net>
http://fedora.ivazquez.net/