CMS use cases

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Nov 22 20:50:49 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-22 at 06:28 -0600, Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered Karsten Wade <kwade at redhat.com>, spake thus:
>
> > That's what I've got off the top of my head.
>
> I'll be you feel much lighter now.

Much.

> All this sounds terribly formalized; is there really a need for so
> many task divisions?  I have no experience with such a CMS, so I'm
> not qualified to have an opinion, but where is the current setup
> inadequate?  I'm not objecting, just asking for a sales pitch ;-)

See, this was why I asked this question here. :)

Simple, the folks on fedora-websites-list have been discussing using a
CMS to manage the formal Fedora websites.  One advantage is that it is
like a Wiki, user friendly to readers, authors, and content maintainers.

I just found myself trying to explain what a CMS brings that, say, a
Wiki with ACLs cannot do.  To be honest, I'm not settled on my thoughts
about what to do.  A CMS has value.  We could also install the lightest
framework (Moin Moin + Python based framework, like Django) and build
what we need as we go.

That, however, requires resources that might be elsewhere.  So, yeah,
etc., just trying to scope the idea a bit.  :)

thanks - Karsten
Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project
http://www.redhat.com/docs   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject