{RFC] XSLT for draft watermarking?

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Wed Nov 30 12:51:20 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-11-29 at 20:04 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Both <book> and <article> in DocBook support a CDATA attribute called
> "status".  (I.e., <book status="published"> or something like that.)
> Does this mean we could have XSLT do the work of deciding which
> stylesheet to use, without having to have a new "make" target?  When the
> work is approved, the author or editor can add this attribute to the top
> of their doc, and the next build fixes the make.  If you want to dream
> really big like Karsten, then think of that status attribute being
> manipulated by a XML/XSLT capable shell script that is part of a Larger
> Automated Process.  For example, when the doc is published, it gets
> branched and the branch gets the status="published" tag, whereas HEAD
> keeps the default draft.
>
> Is this possible?

That's a good idea.  Another thought might be to pass in any details by
way of environment variables when the doc is made.  I do this for some
"production-style" xsl ...

  $ XSLHTML=some.xsl make

Perhaps something like ...

  $ CSS=../common/css/production.css make

... just thinking outloud.  This approach would allow for local CSS
customization and follows a similar path provided by overloading
XSLHTML, XSLHTMLNOCHUNK, XSLPDF, FDPDIR.

Thanks,
James