Some more convention questions

Brad Smith brads at redhat.com
Thu Sep 8 19:52:14 UTC 2005

A colleague has raised the following questions, which I thought I would
forward here for suggestions:

1.  How should we mark up something like "www.example.com"? Note that
we're here referring to a hostname, not a uri like
"http://www.example.com"

2.  Should we do anything to these (<application>, <code>, etc.):
    DNS
    DDNS
    SELinux
    ACL
    FQDN
    RPM
    BIND

Most of these would fit under <ackronym>, but how would SELinux be
marked up? Should BIND be treated as an ackronym or a service name?

3.  During an installation, we have some SELinux choices: Disabled,
Warn, Active.  How should these be presented in CM?  Would this work:
    <menuchoice>
     <guimenu>SELinux</guimenu>
      <guimenuitem>Disabled</guimenuitem>
      <guimenuitem>Warn</guimenuitem>
      <guimenuitem>Active</guimenuitem>
    </menuchoice>

   Or perhaps an itemizedlist?

...in other words, what's the proper markup for referring to a checkbox
or radio button in a GUI form?

5.  Should kernel options (e.g., enforcing=0) be <command> or <code>?

6.  Which is more appropriate?
    or just
	<command>ls -l /etc/passwd</command>

Finally, is there an established tag for use as a "catch-all" for things
that we might want to be visually distinct, but that don't have docbook
tags? SELinux contexts and dns hostnames come to mind. We're using
<code>, but is there already a standard for this?

On that note, is there anywhere that these conventions, like using
<filename> for package names, which I saw in one of Karsten's examples,
are codified? Or is it just something you have to ask a docs person?

Thanks for all the help,
--Brad