Project barriers (was Re: Self-Introduction: Chris Savage)

Edward Haddock edward.haddock at hawaiiantel.net
Sun Apr 2 17:52:23 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 11:01 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 10:33 +0100, Stuart Ellis wrote:
> > On Sat, 2006-04-01 at 18:48 -1000, Edward Haddock wrote:
> > > Aloha,
> > >     I agree that signing emails is a good idea. In the doc I am writing
> > > I have kept it in and am using the instructions on how to set it up from
> > > the website.
> >
> > OK, thanks. I don't think it would be reasonable for it to be mandatory,
> > but it's a good thing to do.
> >
> > As mentioned on the previous mail, I've done instructions for
> > Thunderbird configuration. The Seahorse utility provides a graphical GPG
> > tool that integrates with GNOME, if you'd like to offer an alternative
> > to the command-line for users of that desktop.
>
> I have Seahorse installed too, and it's very convenient, especially with
> the Nautilus context menu "Encrypt/Decrypt File" functions it provides.
>
> > BTW, it's common e-mail etiquette to post replies after the quoted mail,
> > and some people in UNIX circles can be quite sharp about "top-posting",
> > so watch out :).
>
> We try not to slap any wrists around here, but sooner or later *someone*
> was bound to say something. :-)  As you know, this is the "kindler,
> gentler Fedora sub-project."
Aloha,
	I am very new to all of this and am thankful that you folks share with
me advice. I was not aware that bottom posting was the preferred way but
will do so from now on. ;)
	On a different note, I have not installed FC5 yet. I am waiting for the
nVidia stuff to get updated. I know there are ways around it but I want
it all to go smoothly. I also need to figure a way to move my /home to a
neutral location so I can recover all my files and such. As always this
is a learning experience for me but one I enjoy. I am trying to work a
way, in my head at the moment, of putting home on a separate partition
so that upgrading the OS will not affect things as much. Any advice
there would be also sincerely appreciated.
	As to the Documentation Guide I am working on I have an outline done
for the major steps I saw from the Wiki. Now that I have that down, I am
using the Wiki as a reference and rewriting the various steps. My goal,
if I can work it this way, is to have many smaller pages linked from the
main page. The main page will just be the steps and the links will be
for more detailed instructions so that it serves for advanced and new
users. I will be the first to say that I am not at all familiar with Doc
Book so everything I am doing at this time is in text. I will try to
learn Doc Book as I can. This is the outline so far:

1.) Subscribe to the fedora-docs-list, fedora-dsco-list and
fedora-announce-list
	a.) Visit the pages and fill in the needed information
	b.) An automated email message will be sent
	c.) Follow the link or respond to the email
2.) Ensure that the proper tool chain installed
	a.) Package Management
		I.) up2date
		II.) Yum
		III.) RPM
	b.) Privacy Guard Software and Management Utilities.
		I.) GnuPG
		II.) Seahorse
		III.) KGpg
	c.) Email
		I.) Evolution
		II.) Thunderbird
		III.) Kmail
		IV.) Pine
	d.) Editors
		1.) Vi
		II.) Emacs
		III.) OpenOffice.org Writer
	e.) Utilities
		I.) CVS
		II.) xmlto
		III.) Docbook files
3.) Generate a GPG key and setup your email client
	a.) Create a key Pair
	b.) Post public key at pgp.mit.edu
	c.) GPG key management utilities
		I.) KGPG
		II.) Seahorse
		III.) At the command line
	d.) Setup email client to work with GPG
		I.) Evolution
		II.) Thunderbird
		III.) Kmail
		IV.) Pine
4.) Create a Bugzilla account(Red Hat)
	a.) Fill out subscription page
	b.) Receive email
	c.) Respond to or follow link in email
	d.) Account done
5.) Create a Fedora Project Account (Not the same as a Bugzilla
Account.)
	a.) Apply for an account
		I.) Fill out Subscription page
		II.) Receive an email
		III.) Respond to or follow link in email
		IV.) Account setup.
	b.) Request and Complete a Contributor License Agreement(CLA)
		I.) Form the accounts page click to have it emailed to 	the account on
file.
		II.) Receive it and following the instructions in the email, fill it
out, sign it with your GPG key and return it.
		III.) Get confirmation email. Done.
	c.) Download and save the client-side certificate.
6.) Post a self-introduction to the fedora-docs-list
	a.) Subject
	b.) Body
	c.) Include Public GPG Key

	Feedback as always is welcomed.