Content for Plone

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Apr 20 15:12:50 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 07:38 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Hi all Docsters,

> 1.  Who wants to take on the Account Setup Guide?  Keep in mind you
> won't have to do an awful lot of writing; it's mostly just collecting
> written bits from the wiki, expanding them where needed, and making sure
> everything flows nicely for an absolute newcomer.

Edward Haddock started this already, from the angle of just trying to
understand the sign-up process:

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2006-April/msg00023.html

Edward -- if you want to write that up in plain text, OO.org doc, or
whatever you are most comfortable with, another of us can convert it to
XML and make it build with our toolchain.  Then you'd have a good, XML
reference source to continue work from.  We can also generate a
barebones outline in XML, with chapters sparsely populated with content
ready to fill out, based on your outline.

Just two moving-forward ideas. :)

> 2.  How can we make our toolchain do the majority of the work for the
> CMS, like publishing and such?  This is a more subtle question that
> probably needs some batting around, and will require coordination with
> Websites.  Seth Vidal and I will help connect these dots, but folks here
> are intimate with our toolchain and we should be prepared to come to the
> table with some answers.

http://autobuild.org/ ?

Perhaps Elliot and Tommy's look at DIY on webtest.fedora might make the
argument for Autobuild stronger or ...?

> 3.  It might be a good idea for us to start thinking about what docs
> content is "faster-evolving" than we can or should keep up with in CVS.

I'd like to see the Wiki graduate content into the CMS, just as it
graduates contributors from the lower-level tools to the upper-level
tools.  This models the growing pattern we all have as writers, from
basic content to more advanced content.

Karsten Wade, RHCE *    Sr. Editor   * http://people.redhat.com/kwade/
Fedora Documentation Project http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject

Learn. Network. Experience open source.
Red Hat Summit Nashville  |  May 30 - June 2, 2006
Learn more: http://www.redhat.com/promo/summit/