Content for Plone

Sam Folk-Williams sfolkwil at redhat.com
Fri Apr 21 13:33:31 UTC 2006

Hi,

The move to Plone, and the desire to simply the Docs process both sound very
exciting. This email is the first I've heard of the move, so please excuse me
if I missed something (likely). My basic questions are: 1) does everyone need
to create a new account on Plone (i just did), and 2) how are we porting the
content?

I would love to help in any way I can. I was covering the kernel release notes
beat, but things have died down since the release. One thing that is hard for
me to do is to put in the time to figure out what needs to be done. But given
an assignment, I can find the time to make it happen. I also worry that I might
be doing something someone else is already working on. Just some comments from
a contributor...

Thanks,
Sam
On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 07:38:30AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> Hi all Docsters,
>
> One of the issues which arose in the last Fedora Project Board meeting
> was the steady (rising?) number of complaints about how many account
> system requirements there are for new contributors.  We already know
> that having no single sign-on capability makes the process harder than
> it needs to be; this is already under discussion, so, since we Docs
> folks can't solve that problem, let's talk about the problems we *can*
> solve.
>
> * Some new contributors are not familiar with GPG or SSH.
>
> * The account system has a number of steps and an interface that is not
> particularly warm and friendly for newcomers.
>
> * The wiki pages speak to the requirements but do not give concrete (and
> hopefully foolproof) command line steps for making things Just Work.
>
> * In many cases they link outbound to other pages for what is supposed
> to be more information, but which is woefully inadequate.
>
> The fact that we have so many people putting content on the wiki is
> *fantastic*, but for canonical docs like "setting up a Fedora account,"
> we need simple, step-by-step, procedural guides that don't send people
> on a wild goose chase around the wiki.  We have a number of people who
> have taken time and effort to come to us with offers of help, only to
> find that juts getting to the point where they can contribute is an
> enormous time sink!  This is just unacceptable IMHO, and I hope that you
> share this opinion -- especially since we are the folks who should be
> making this easy.
>
> As a Board member, I'm coming to the Docs Project to ask for help in
> getting content to the new Plone CMS *before* it goes live.  The Plone
> CMS (refer to http://fpserv.fedoraproject.org/ if you have no idea what
> I'm talking about) will, one day Real Soon Now, supplant or overarch the
> wiki.  We want the launch of the Plone CMS to *lower the barriers* for
> folks.  We want to get Docs support to identify and push this content
> ASAP.
>
> As a member of the Docs Project, I want to get people excited about a
> chance for us to kickstart the CMS and get some additional project
> visibility.  This idea of "lowering barriers" is nothing new for Docs --
> it's something we've discussed often in Docs; something we've tried hard
> to do with our toolchain, our attitudes, and this very list; and
> something we can now exemplify in the community.  I think it will also
> energize some of our newcomers and hopefully bring in other fresh faces
> (and hands).
>
> 1.  Who wants to take on the Account Setup Guide?  Keep in mind you
> won't have to do an awful lot of writing; it's mostly just collecting
> written bits from the wiki, expanding them where needed, and making sure
> everything flows nicely for an absolute newcomer.
>
> 2.  How can we make our toolchain do the majority of the work for the
> [...]

➧ Sam Folk-Williams, RHCE 	➧ Red Hat Global Support Services
➧ Phone: 919/754-4558 		➧ Cell: 919/943-9623
➧ Fax: 919/754-3708		➧ GPG ID: 1B0D46BA