Release announcement translation

Tommy Reynolds Tommy.Reynolds at MegaCoder.com
Mon Aug 14 13:25:48 UTC 2006

Uttered Rahul <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>, spake thus:

> Release announcements for new releases are a major piece of information
> that hasnt been translated and announced in sync unlike the release
> notes. Since this adds a lot of visibility to the L10N efforts, I would
> like to see us do that from the Fedora Core 6 release onwards.

If you would like to get a preview of how this could work, check
out the "press-release" project from CVS.  There is a meaningless
example press release there, just to demonstrate the technology.

This approach solves several problems (and probably creates many
more):

1)  Press releases are written in XML, using a tiny custom DTD.

2)  All translatible strings are exposed in the XML, so the familiar
    .PO/.POT approach will work for the translation team.

3)  Document building uses the stock xmlto RPM package.  The DTD and
    generated XSL-FO is simple enough that passivetex appears to have
    no trouble understanding it.

Let me know what you think.  Here on the list, of course.

Cheers