Suggestions for system home page

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 23:40:45 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-08 at 14:29 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 18:02 +0100, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
>
> > Nevertheless, I believe we should probably not dismiss the idea of
> > having a box *somewhere* to be able to notify users of something
> > important. Having it at the home page of the browser is much less
> > annoying than a pop-up in the notification area for example. Also,
> > giving the user the choice of information level (important news,
> > security notices, nothing at all) would ensure minimum annoyance levels.
> > Of course, again, these require scripting, so they remain just future
> > ideas for now.
>
> Let's begin work on this just following the FC6 release.  We could use
> the cycle between FC6 and FC7 to work on all kinds of crazy ideas for
> that page, get them tested and worked through in rawhide, and have FC7
> test1 show some very exciting usability on the documentation and
> translation fronts.

If we keep in mind that our sandbox will likely be limited to the use
case of "just installed or don't know how to customize Firefox with a
new home page," that gives us a limited range for what we announce.
Realize that I am saying that is a *Very Good Thing*, since:

* it keeps our expectations reasonable;
* it requires the reasons for pushing a new announcement as part of any
of our packages to be crystal-clear and compelling; and,
* it helps us properly phrase and target any announcements to the right
audience.

Part of Dimitris' idea probably belongs in the work being done in the
new repository metadata format, which will allow information add-ons for
*why* an update is required.  That way security updates have a way of
gaining higher visibility and priority.  We should rely on that channel
for delivering information like security notices.  Our work should be
focused on things like documentation updates or availability ("New
Desktop User Guide is ready!").