Self-Introduction: John Babich

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 22:30:01 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-08-13 at 03:09 +0530, Rahul wrote:
> John Babich wrote:
> > Damien and Paul, thanks for the quick and hearty welcome.
> >
> > I went through the required steps to create the SSH and GPG keys, filled
> > out, signed and returned the ICLA, and created a Wiki account. I think I
> > did all the
> > steps necessary to get started. Let me know if I missed any.
> >
> > Paul, I look forward to working on the suggested documents. It seems
> > evident from
> > the Introduction in the Desktop User Guide that I need to install FC6
> > Test 2 as
> > soon as possible. This may take a few days due to generally slow connections
> > in the part of the world in which I'm currently working.
>
> You would generally require only the first two CD's for the default
> desktop set.  So the connection is slow that would be a good way to get
> started quickly.
>
> If you are documenting other desktop environments like KDE you would
> require more CD's of course.
>
> 9th october is the current planned release date for Fedora Core 6
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Core/Schedule

Before we get too far down this path, note that there is a lot of
material in the Desktop User Guide that really won't change at all with
FC6 -- concepts and gentle introductions to how to do things.  Much of
what you see in this guide is only going to change very little -- if at
all -- from FC5 to FC6.  Your writing should not be bound by whether you
can install the latest test release.  Use FC5 if you've already got it,
and worry about the changes later.  Don't let the perfect be the enemy
of the good!

One of the major mistakes made by a lot of people who want to write a
DUG is to concentrate too much on details of how a program works.
Instead, figure out who the audience is, and what their average skill
set is.  Is the DUG for the "above-average" computer users who generally
end up installing Linux for fun?  I doubt it; they don't need one.  A
DUG is for first-time computer users who can't figure it out on their
own.  Therefore the DUG requires very tiny steps, e.g.: What do they see
on the desktop?  What are the different areas called?  How do you
interact with them?

Just some thoughts...