Release announcement translation

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 13 15:17:48 UTC 2006

Hi

Release announcements for new releases are a major piece of information
that hasnt been translated and announced in sync unlike the release
notes. Since this adds a lot of visibility to the L10N efforts, I would
like to see us do that from the Fedora Core 6 release onwards.

I have talked to Paul.W.Frields on IRC and there are a few things we
need to take care of.

  * Release announcements are usually in a style which doesnt lend
itself well to translation and changing into a more formal style would
make it rather dull. We can workaround that by doing a alternative
formal style announcement that we translate leaving the current
community style announcement untranslated but linking them together. I
had written a release summary for Fedora Core 5 and now a draft one for
Fedora Core 6  (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC6ReleaseSummary) which
might serve this purpose.

* After the test3 release we need to decide the location of the final
Fedora Core 6 release notes and link to it from the above release
summary, convert it into DocBook XML format, import into CVS and make it
available for translation.

I am copying Alam and Jesse Keating for coordinating the translation
efforts and making sure that the release summary is linked from the
community announcement. We need to get the ball rolling now.

Rahul