[Spam] Re: Release announcement translation

Thomas w. Cranston cranston_tom at asapchoice.com
Sun Aug 13 17:58:31 UTC 2006

Rahul wrote:

> Thomas w. Cranston wrote:
>
>> Rahul wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Release announcements for new releases are a major piece of
>>> information that hasnt been translated and announced in sync unlike
>>> the release notes. Since this adds a lot of visibility to the L10N
>>> efforts, I would like to see us do that from the Fedora Core 6
>>> release onwards.
>>>
>>> I have talked to Paul.W.Frields on IRC and there are a few things we
>>> need to take care of.
>>>
>>>  * Release announcements are usually in a style which doesnt lend
>>> itself well to translation and changing into a more formal style
>>> would make it rather dull. We can workaround that by doing a
>>> alternative formal style announcement that we translate leaving the
>>> current community style announcement untranslated but linking them
>>> together. I had written a release summary for Fedora Core 5 and now
>>> a draft one for Fedora Core 6
>>> (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC6ReleaseSummary) which might serve
>>> this purpose.
>>>
>>> * After the test3 release we need to decide the location of the
>>> final Fedora Core 6 release notes and link to it from the above
>>> release summary, convert it into DocBook XML format, import into CVS
>>> and make it available for translation.
>>>
>>> I am copying Alam and Jesse Keating for coordinating the translation
>>> efforts and making sure that the release summary is linked from the
>>> community announcement. We need to get the ball rolling now.
>>>
>>> Rahul
>>>

>> Hi
>>
>> Could you please identify youself better? The following are the
>> subject and sender:
>> Rahul
>> Release announcement translation
>

> Ok. I am Rahul Sundaram. See
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram for more information about
> me.
>

>> I have no quick way of knowing if this is spam or somthing from or
>> relating to the Fedora documents project, so it just looks like spam
>> to me, since I am not familiar with your name.
>

> I have been here for a few years now. I would expect anyone familiar
> with the project to know me.
>

>> Spammers are beginning to craft subject lins that look like they
>> might relate to a forum, etc.
>> In this case I used a little intuition, but my esp is running a
>> little thin.
>>
>> This goes out to everyone out there, and not just you Rahul.
>

> Googling the key words up is a good thing to try when you are not sure.
>
> Rahul

Instead of hundres or thousands of people having to google, or go
somewhere, it makes more sense to have an identifier in the sender
field. For example these identifiers appear in the subject fields of
most forums.

You may have been posting for years, but don't assume that everyone
getting your messages has been associated with the group for very long.

Here are a few examples of identifiers in the subject field from groupes
I belong to:

[GWLUG] OT: Death Star speaker - You have to see it to believe it!
[ctl-linux] Bash test
[LPJC-jobs] Johnson Space Center Job Fair August 1-3 - Clear Lake, TX

All I have to do is look for the identifier, and know that the message
is very probably not bogus.

I get messages from lots of folks in these groupes. I am not familiar
with all of them. Some of them are new.

I know it's not fool proof, but it works for me.