[Spam] Re: Release announcement translation

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 13 18:11:20 UTC 2006

Hi

> Instead of hundres or thousands of people having to google, or go
> somewhere, it makes more sense to have an identifier in the sender
> field. For example these identifiers appear in the subject fields of
> most forums.
>
> You may have been posting for years, but don't assume that everyone
> getting your messages has been associated with the group for very long.

I cant send introductions to myself in every mail. If you believe I am
spamming, I cant really claim that I dont on my own since its a question
of trust at that point. If you havent been associated with the group, do
get familiar with those already involved. I cant see any reason to
suspect my mail as spam.

> Here are a few examples of identifiers in the subject field from groupes
> I belong to:
>
> [GWLUG] OT: Death Star speaker - You have to see it to believe it!
> [ctl-linux] Bash test
> [LPJC-jobs] Johnson Space Center Job Fair August 1-3 - Clear Lake, TX
>
> All I have to do is look for the identifier, and know that the message
> is very probably not bogus.
>
> I get messages from lots of folks in these groupes. I am not familiar
> with all of them. Some of them are new.
>
> I know it's not fool proof, but it works for me.

It doesnt make any difference really since the spam mails can easily
have a similar subject field. The subject header is already there. You
just have to filter your mails from the mailing list based on the To/CC
list. Very few mailing lists in Fedora alter the subject field. In
general, we avoid doing that.

Rahul