Release announcement translation

Rahul sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon Aug 14 13:33:10 UTC 2006

Tommy Reynolds wrote:
> Uttered Rahul <sundaram at fedoraproject.org>, spake thus:
>
>> Release announcements for new releases are a major piece of information
>> that hasnt been translated and announced in sync unlike the release
>> notes. Since this adds a lot of visibility to the L10N efforts, I would
>> like to see us do that from the Fedora Core 6 release onwards.
>
> If you would like to get a preview of how this could work, check
> out the "press-release" project from CVS.  There is a meaningless
> example press release there, just to demonstrate the technology.
>
> This approach solves several problems (and probably creates many
> more):
>
> 1)  Press releases are written in XML, using a tiny custom DTD.
>
> 2)  All translatible strings are exposed in the XML, so the familiar
>     .PO/.POT approach will work for the translation team.
>
> 3)  Document building uses the stock xmlto RPM package.  The DTD and
>     generated XSL-FO is simple enough that passivetex appears to have
>     no trouble understanding it.
>
> Let me know what you think.  Here on the list, of course.

That would work for me. You can import the current draft and use it from
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FC6ReleaseSummary. It will be updated
again before the actual release however.  We can have this follow along
with the rest of the docs as it reaches the freeze date for the
translation work to be done.

Rahul