Focus on two guides for FC6 and a schedule

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 03:32:59 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 15:53 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> We need to do this with the resources we have now, while doing our magic
> for the release notes.

Which, incidentally, have gotten MUCH easier to handle with Mikko's
script, although still not as automagical as the lazy among us would
prefer. ;-)

> A bonus would be getting both guides available
> for translation prior to the release.  I've updated the schedule to
> reflect this.  Our content is due into alpha/draft on 28 August (Wiki)
> or 30 August (XML in CVS):
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Schedule
>
> To succeed, we need to focus FDP on getting this done.  I ask each of
> you to put your name on *one* of these contributor pages, or two if you
> are not doing a primary role on the second guide.  We need to be
> realistic about how much personal time we have to finish these on time.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/DesktopUserGuide/Contributors
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/InstallationGuide/Contributors
>
> Each team needs a designated leader who is accountable for making sure
> all other contributors know what they are responsible for, when it is
> due, and where it has to go.  This is not a hard role, but someone needs
> to do it.

I'd like to point out that it is VERY important that people read and
agree with the information in the DUG's Introduction, particularly
Assumptions.  If you don't see a skill listed there, avoid writing as if
the reader had it.  Those skills should be kept to a minimum because the
only people who will be interested in this guide are beginners to the
world of Linux.  If they are comfortable with computers, the DUG is
*NOT* going to do them a world of good.  It's more for Grandma, as I see
it.  Be gentle and inclusive!

> How does this approach sound?  Any suggestions to improve it?  Is my
> schedule too crazy/aggressive to you?  Do you think we should be focused
> on a different set of guides?  Do you want to work on something else and
> not these guides or the release notes?
>
> Let's get any issues resolved and proceed to writing.  I personally have
> just a bit of time to put into these guides, and want to know what I am
> doing is contributing to the release. ;-)  I'm sure you all feel the
> same.

Yup.  I personally want to spend more time on the IG if I can find it
around the mountain of pending email on f-a-b and other Round Tuits.
Someone was doing screenshots which I hope will make it in shortly.  The
positive note for the IG is that other than a few revisions and
additions it is basically solid thanks to Stuart Ellis' hard work, and
will easily withstand the rigors of another release.