Munch 'N' Learn: CVS

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 22:49:28 UTC 2006

I've decided that's what I'm calling these sessions, since it's my hope
that people show up at their keyboard with their favorite snack.  Please
observe the following Munch 'N' Learn Guidelines:

1.  "Munch" means snack.  Pick something that's not deadly, like veggies
or rice cakes.  Or alternatively, shake the bag before you eat any, so
the calories fall down to the bottom.

2.  As we discovered in the first session, having gobby 0.3.1 installed
is helpful!  (On Fedora Core, use yum or pirut, or if you're on another
OS, visit http://darcs.0x539.de/trac/obby/cgi-bin/trac.cgi for downloads
and more information.)

3.  Bring questions, an open mind, and a willingness to learn!

4.  Nope, there's no 4, I was just messin' witchoo.  Having a Munch 'N'
Learn with more than 3 steps would be stupid.

Anyway, we're going to have another one of these sessions soon for CVS.
It's our hope in FDP that contributors will get started drafting on the
Wiki because it's easier for new folks.  As you learn the ropes though,
you'll find that most of our vital work goes on using DocBook XML files
kept in CVS.  The inaugural Munch 'N' Learn was all about DocBook XML,
and next we're going to show you how to use CVS.  We're even going to
have a CVS repository up for everyone to actually run commands live!

I'd like to try this next week some time, but I can't do any session
before 2100 or 9:00pm UTC (currently 5:00pm EDT/2:00pm PDT).  If I set
this up for Thursday night at 9:00pm UTC, how would that work for
everyone?  If you plan to attend, drop a reply (ON-list) to this
message, or let me know a better time.