Overview bloat? (was [Fedora Project Wiki] Update of "Docs/Beats/Desktop" by RahulSundaram)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 14:57:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 07:48 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 19:38 +0530, Rahul wrote:
>
> > As the beat writer for the section, I chose the current style to give
> > our users a very quick glance at major changes rather than make them
> > scroll through different sections to get an idea of the improvements. It
> > could be possible that there are desktop changes that arent major and
> > require some brief coverage in other sections but if a section is empty
> > as it is right now, we can drop it before the final release IMO.
>
> I agree with both of these.  I just don't want to see all the content
> migrate to the OverView. :)  As the overview beat writer, I'm sure you'd
> agree.
>
> Let's wait until 20 Sep (the deadline we're pushing out to the devel
> lists) for any changes/additions from that group.  At that point, we'll
> cull all the beats that have no content.

+1.  From a docs perspective, a good way to make the Overview do what's
needed while maintaining a slim profile is for any particular bullet to
be no more than a short sentence of, say, 20 words.  If you need more
space than that, it's probably better pushed to the appropriate section.
That allows the idea to be fully explained without overloading the
Overview, and might mean the difference between a "missing" section and
a section with meaningful content.