Administration Guide modules and getting started

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Dec 5 00:03:29 UTC 2006

The consensus for working on the Fedora Administration Guide is to break
it down into modules.  A contributor works on one or more modules.  Each
module is one or more chapters in a particular topic area.  This is
similar to how Docs/Beats/ turns into the release notes, except it is
conceivable to have multiple chapters in a module.

There are a number of you who have expressed interest in working on this
guide.  Congratulations, you are now all on the team. :)  Please fill in
this page:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/AdministrationGuide/Contributors

Work out amongst yourselves who is going to do what.  If you wish, you
can select a lead writer[0].  Each module needs a technical editor and a
wordsmith editor; you can use each other, etc.  Use this list for
discussions; we'd all like to see what is going on.[1]  When you are
ready, we can create a component in bugzilla.redhat.com for this guide.
That allows you to use bugzilla as a task tracker that is tied into
other parts of Fedora, which continues to be used when the content is
bundled as XML in CVS, and eventually tracks bugs when the content is a
package in F*7.[2]

- Karsten

[0] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Roles/LeadWriter

[1] Anyone who wants to watch this guide get worked on can subscribe to
watch the page changes by:

1. Go to http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UserPreferences
2. At the bottom of the page under 'Subscribed wiki pages (one regex per
line)', put in the regular expression:
Docs/Drafts/AdministrationGuide.*
3. Click 'Save'

The regexp .* is a wildcard, similar to using * to mean any character
any number of times.

[2] I think you are going to quickly find the limitations of doing a
full-length book in the Wiki.  Based on the topic outline I've seen so
far, the high level of experience on the writing team, and the user
need ... there is easily 100 pages of content you can create.  Keep that
in mind as you move forward; you can pull the switch and convert to XML
at any time.

--
Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project