fedora-doc-common RPM specfile

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 01:17:52 UTC 2006

I believe some changes are in order for the fedora-doc-common package.
Rather than having this package "roll" forever with a "cvsYYYYMMDD"
designator, I think it will be preferable, both for us and Fedora
Extras, to simply version/release tag the specfile, per normal, and "cvs
tag" the docs-common module with that version/release combo.  If you
want to see the current state of the file, look at this URL:

http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/docs-common/packaging/fedora-doc-common.spec?viewcvs=docs&view=markup

Currently the %version and %release are provided by the Makefile:

http://cvs.fedora.redhat.com/viewcvs/docs-common/Makefile?viewcvs=docs&view=markup

...but this seems less than optimal, as well as possibly counter to some
normal Fedora Extras policies and practices.  In the interest of getting
this package entered (since all other fedora-doc-* packages will depend
thereupon), I want the spec to look as "clean" as possible to a FE
reviewer.  By using a real version/release, appending the changelog per
normal, committing any changes and retagging the docs-common module
appropriately, we should have all the recall we need for QA purposes.

Note that using an "rpm-info.xml" file in this case is probably not
workable since the fedora-doc-common module doesn't build the same way
as any of the documentation.  Also note that changes to this package
will probably only be made by a few individuals, making the "exception"
of negligible impact on the overall FDP.

I've invited Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams, one of FE's staff of reviewers, to
look at (and comment on) the specfile, simply because he has been kind
enough to review some of my packages for FE.  (It's like a lottery, only
the prize is more beatings.)

Any or all comments are welcome and appreciated.