press release format, for translation too

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Feb 3 00:57:15 UTC 2006

We want to be able to translate Fedora press releases using our existing
systems, and we need to figure out a format that works best.  We
need .po files for the translation, the question is, what to write in
and how to get them.

Here are the choices we cooked up on IRC today[1]:

1. Formatted ASCII text.

   We'd have to write a custom text2po and po2text, with strict
   formatting rules on the TXT side.

2. DocBook XML

   Proven, but the stylesheets do not make a pretty press release.  If
   an XSL fanatic would make a nice stylesheet for us ...

3. OO.o SXW -> XML -> .po -> XML -> SXW

   No one has experimented with this yet, but it could work
   conceivably.  If it doesn't work, we could manually unpack the SXW
   and work on the XML directly.  I reckon that would work.

4. Wiki -> .po

   Theoretically possible, but no idea if it's been done.

What do you think about all this?

- Karsten

[1] Full log of the chat, provides all the technical details known:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-docs-list/2006-February/msg00026.html
Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project
http://www.redhat.com/docs   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject