Licensing, what's coming

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 01:22:34 UTC 2006

Oh, this is the most fun email I've written in a while.

This project, Fedora Documentation, is changing our content license to
the OPL without options:

http://opencontent.org/openpub/

The relevant section that we are *not* using is VI. LICENSE OPTIONS.

Lots of questions are answered here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/Licensing/FAQ

Please read that.  Anything unanswered, bring it back here and we'll get
it answered and in the FAQ.

Right now we're working on the basics:

* Who doesn't have a CLA?
* What has to be changed?
* Where do we change it?
* How do we get everyone's approval?
* When (how fast) can we do this?

With this change, we are going to be able to use the content from Red
Hat documentation, which is switching to use the same OPL without
options.  As a person who knows all of that content intimately, I tell
you that this is going to be a great boost to the Fedora Documentation
Project!  No details from that yet, but I'll bring them out as I find
them in digestible form (real food == real facts).

We are not debating the merits of licenses and making decisions for the
Fedora Project on this list.  Thankfully we have the Fedora Foundation
board and their lawyer friends to do that for us.  We just get the good
results of their decision to implement.  FWIW, I'm a fan of the OPL
without options.  As a writer/creator, I find it is the cleanest and
most understandable open content license.  Hurrah!

Happy writing/tooling/reading/enjoying.

Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project
http://www.redhat.com/docs   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject