Inappropriate example in /wiki/Docs/Beats/Networking

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 17:57:48 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 01:39 +0900, SEKINE tatz Tatsuo wrote:
> Hi all, I have a question about the example of "Configurable
> Source Address for ICMP Errors" in
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Networking
>
> <quote>
> For example, the kernel receives an ICMP echo request on the interface eth0. Because the new sysctl option is enabled, this causes the ICMP echo reply to be sent out via eth1. The address of eth0 is used when the default behavior would use the address of eth1.
> </quote>
>
> First of all, this new sysctl key refers ICMP *Error* messge.
> It differs from ICMP Echo Reply. So, we are supposed to think
> about the case that something error happens.
>
> There is another point to be discussed. IMHO, former kernel
> also uses eth1 interface to sent out the reply (as an error)
> message in this case. The changed point caused by this new
> feature is just IP address used in the reply packet. Kernel
> routing shceme is unchanged in these new kernel releases.
>
> My suggestion is:
>   For example, the kernel receives a packet on the interface
>   eth0 which cause ICMP Error and replies the ICMP Error
>   messages via eth1 interface because of its routing table.
>   If the the new sysctl option is enabled, the address of eth0
>   is used for the source address of the ICMP Error while the
>   default behavior would use the address of eth1.

Tatsuo:

Thank you for the suggestion.  I didn't like the way this was worded
either, but wasn't sure how to change it because I wasn't familiar with
the subject matter.  I didn't want my change to inadvertently alter the
*meaning* of the note.  In the future, if you find any more problems
like this, please file a bug in Bugzilla under product: Fedora
Documentation, component: release-notes.  Thanks again for your help,
I'll change the notes appropriately.