Fedora survey results

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at redhat.com
Wed Jan 4 01:03:37 UTC 2006

Hi

>I would like to consider this as a marketing opportunity:
>
>"X% of you think that Fedora documentation could use serious
>improvement.  Want to help?"
>
>"Think Fedora documentation sucks?  You can make it suck less."

We need to differentiate between document that sucks and documents that
simply dont exist. I think people are complaining about the perception
of non existent documentation. What end users generally consider Fedora
documentation is available in http://fedora.redhat.com/docs but thats
not the whole story. There are thousands of documentation available in
man, info pages and /usr/share/docs. Also published books. I would go
back to my idea of making a documentation portal which combines formal
Fedora documentation, the results of rpm -qd (%docs in the spec) of all
packages from the build system published in revisions,  published books
in http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Books, work in progress docs
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsRawhide) and so on into a easily
searchable and referenceable format. Throwing in links to RHEL docs
(http://redhat.com/docs) cant hurt either since most of it is usually
applicable to Fedora users too. . We can potentially identify the
quality of the existing formal docs and understand better what end users
are looking for in a separate survey. Then we of course need to get more
contributors to fill in areas that are either not documented or poorly
done and go ahead and market the opportunity based on survey results.

regards
Rahul