CVS tag naming conventions

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 18:44:04 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 10:13 -0800, Karsten Wade wrote:
> I used a proprietary SCM for a while (Perforce) that gives *each* check-
> in a unique, sequential ID.  You can not only refer to them by ID, just
> like we do with bugzilla reports, but that ID is also a tag of that
> check-in.  It is representative of the entire repo at the time of the ID
> creation, and you can just get the pieces you want.
>
> SVN do that by any chance?

Yup, exactly what it does.  The revision number, basically an integer
counting up from 1 (0 if you count the instantiation of the empty repo),
is a reference to the entire repository state.  So whereas we use "cvs
<cmd> -r485 <file1> <file2>" is perfectly sane and refers to two
disparate files' state at a specific point in time.  That's why a
command like "svn mv" is trivial in SVN, but has an ugly counterpart in
CVS!