Translation guide

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Jan 19 17:57:58 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 11:05 +1000, Manuel Ospina wrote:
> Dear Chester and Aman,
>
> I have added  a "Translation Quick Start Guide" to the repository (I
> should have reported to the fedora-docs-list before adding it... sorry
> about it). Anyway, though the guide is still a draft, it contains the
> essential information about how to translate software and documentation
> for the Fedora project. I believe it would be useful if we can include
> it in the L10N wiki page < http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/L10N/ > .

We offer a chance for peer review, which is the best reason for telling
folks about your document

> Aman, Chester, as you are the maintainers of the Fedora Localization
> Project I would need your assistance to export the XML file to the wiki
> (I believe making the html file is not enough).

I do not recommend moving content from XML to the Wiki.  The Wiki serves
best for short documentation that is undergoing rapid change, and for
collaboration on draft or in-process documentation.

We are working on exposing the XML through the Wiki, so that the Wiki is
an editor, but this is not ready yet.  Our goal for _all_ documentation
is to be in XML living in CVS.  The Wiki is a step in the direction of
that goal.  Once you have a document in XML, it is a step backward to
move it to the Wiki.

I recommend that you:

1. Build the document, assuming you used Fedora Docs tools 'make html'
should do fine.

2. Post the document to http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/quickstart-
translation-guide.

The latter step is where snowlet or aalam can help best.  The folks on
#fedora-websites can help with the permissions and process for posting
the document.

Content Services                          Fedora Documentation Project
http://www.redhat.com/docs   http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject