Make HTML encoding of docs UTF-8

Dimitris Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Mon Jul 3 11:27:17 UTC 2006

O/H Paul W. Frields έγραψε:
> On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 15:55 +0100, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I noticed that the html docs do not use a UTF-8 encoding. Searching the
>> archive of this list I found this "problem" noticed in the past but I
>> didn't find any post saying why we haven't changed it yet.
>>
>> Would this be too hard to fix without affecting other ascii-encoded
>> *redhat.com pages? Or should we wait for the plone site?
>
> Hm, good point Dimitris... I wonder whether we should have "xhtml"
> targets in Makefile.common.  My understanding is the impact of XHTML is
> minimal to non-existent for browsing clients, but I may be (as usual)
> half (or less) informed.  Anyone care to offer a wiser opinion?

Yes, there is no difference between an XHTML and an HTML doc inside a
browser, as far as you serve it as "text/html" (this is the default for
most web pages).

The advantage of XHTML is that it is an XML dialect, so it can do XSLT,
XPath and all the other cool stuff the XML libraries do. And of course,
Plone uses XHTML too.

I agree with Patrick to stick with HTML for the fedora.redhat.com site
but do change the encoding to UTF-8.

We should probably do some testing in the near future to see if it's
hard to do XHTML for the plone site.

-Dim

--
Dimitris Glezos