release notes ready for translation (FC6 test2)

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 03:29:09 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 16:15 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-07-14 at 17:02 +0200, Thomas Canniot wrote:
>
> > I checked the new pot file and i think it is useless to lose time
> > changing all the "Fedora Core" strings to "Fedora Core 6 test2". That
> > means that there will be a new issue for the release note with a new
> > modification to "Fedora Core 6 test2".
> >
> > Why not to write it plain "Fedora Core 6", as it is our main goal, and
> > that release notes for test version are just kind of drafts ?
>
> The release notes are actually specific to the test version they go
> with.
>
> We have had situations where the content is only relevant for that test
> release, and changes for the next test.
>
> However, there certainly must be a better way.  Are we unable to use an
> ENTITY or XInclude?  I forgot the status of that technique.

Unfortunately, the workings of xml2po and xmllint make this well-nigh
impossible for us.  The lesser of two evils was to parse the entities
before they arrive in the POT file.

If this bothers you -- and I do sympathize, believe me -- when we switch
to Fedora Core 6 test3, you can do this:

  sed -i 's/6 test2/6 test3/' XX.po      # test2 -> test3
  sed -i 's/6 test3/6/' XX.po            # test3 -> final

That should take care of most everyone.  I don't think anyone localizes
the string "test2" on its own since it's a program appellation.  Are
there any reasons this wouldn't work for translators?