Fedora FAQs in Docs?

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Jul 26 16:43:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 03:50 +0100, Dimitris Glezos wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Are there any plans to move the FAQs from the wiki to the Docs?

What we planned, at the suggestion of Rahul, is to pull the FAQ directly
into the release notes.  This puts the data on the local system for
off-line value, linked directly from the default Firefox homepage.

> I'm not sure if it is really worth it, because a) FAQs are not the best
> way to write documentation and b) probably every answer is/will be
> included in or linked to the Guides (installation, desktop, etc).
>
> Nevertheless, FAQs *are* popular among users and so are websites like
> fedorafaq.org. Very linkable from outside, handy.

Our FAQ is linked from the sidebar here:

file:///usr/share/doc/HTML/index.html

I did think about linking directly to fedorafaq.org, but thought it
would be confusing to have two FAQs side-by-side.

> Do you guys think we should migrate the FAQs to a Doc, probably
> maintained with the moinmoin export? This way we'll get them translated
> more too.

Ah, now that's a good point.  We missed it for test2, but let's make it
a point for test3 to get the FAQ into XML and available for translation
long in advance.  There might be last minute changes as we get closer to
test3, but the majority of the content could be translated and only have
to do some updates.

Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project