Updated Server Guide for Fedora Core 5

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 13:29:13 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-30 at 16:05 +1000, Miles Brennan wrote:
> I wrote the "Linux Home Server HOWTO" which is located at
> http://www.brennan.id.au, and I have just recently updated the
> documentation for Fedora Core 5, this was an extensive rewrite (with
> further additional info) for many chapters.
>
> The HOWTO is approx 20 chapters which covers all aspects of setting up
> FC as a home gateway server as a step-by-step guide for beginners to
> intermediates - yum, bind (with DDNS update conf), ntpd, dhcpd, squid,
> sendmail, dovecot, spamassassin, clamav (and milter), vsftpd, cups,
> sshd, mysqld, samba, nfs (and V4), and ldap etc... and a chapter
> explaining the concepts of iptables/firewall configs.
>
> I wanted to move this HOWTO into the docs project last year, however
> with work commitments I did not have the time to update it for FC4 (sorry).
>
> I would like some feedback on the updated HOWTO if need be, or it's
> suitability within the docs project area.
>
> I have created an account on the wiki - MilesBrennan (no write access yet).

Hi Miles.  I took a quick look at your extensive (and commendable!)
work, and had the following constructive observations:

1.  The document is licensed as CC BY-NC-SA, so you would need to
relicense it as OPL 1.0 [2] for the Fedora Documentation Project to use
it.

2.  The document would benefit from style editing.  If you are
interested in improving the readability of your document, check a good
style manual, or even a simple Linux community one like the GNOME
Documentation Style Guidelines [1].  If you join the FDP and relicense
the doc for use here, I would be happy to work with you on this.

3.  I would be inclined to drop the chapter on installation, since it
substantially duplicates what's already in our official Installation
Guide.  (Suggestions for improvements to the IG are, as always,
gratefully accepted, filed as bugs in Bugzilla.)

This doc would also benefit from some technical input from additional
community members.  I saw a number of opportunities for clarifications
and corrections during my brief skimming of a couple of chapters.  If
you are interested in bringing this doc into FDP, we'd love to have you
aboard.

Please take a look at:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/NewWriters

...for a checklist on where to start.  If you need any help, this list
is the right place to post, or come to IRC #fedora-docs where there are
usually several contributors at any point during the day or night.

     Fedora Project Board: http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board