Tip a day

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 16:04:27 UTC 2006

> Someone suggested earlier in fedora-devel list that we have a Fedora
> welcome screen on first login for new users to guide them. One of the
> usual inclusions in such things is a tip a day feature like those KDE
> has for example.
>
> We might be able to expand the scope of this if we have a place to
> submit tips and then collect, review and edit them and then display the
> published ones in the website with a different tip everyday. The best
> ones can be included later within the distribution if we have a welcome
> screen feature in a future release. Comments?

I think this is a *FANTASTIC* idea.  If you can find someone to write
the code -- probably no more than a lightweight Python app -- I'm sure
we would be interested in doing editorial.  (And I know people around
here could offer tips as well.)  Given that FC6 is likely to include
additional repo support directly in Anaconda, including Fedora Extras,
there doesn't seem to be any reason this type of application couldn't
live there.  Maybe there's justification for a new Extras comps group,
or something to make this and other helpful bits prominent in the
installer.