Self-Introduction: Robert F. Chapman

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 14:23:31 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-09 at 00:41 -0800, Robert F. Chapman wrote:
> Robert F. Chapman
> California, USA
> Senior Manufacturing Test Engineer - Test Systems Development
> Maxim Integrated Products
>
>   Goals:
>          Help make a difference in the Linux Community.
>          Give something back for all that has been gained from the many
> contributors of Linux/Redhat Distro.
>          Too many times when reading documentation for the Fedora
> Project, I have come across grammatical/spelling errors.  For the most
> part, I think all that have contributed have done a great job. I have
> often wanted to send little snippets for correction, but don't know who
> to send it to..
>          I would like to learn more about the process of distributed
> documentation creation/maintenance, where more than one person is
> working on a document.  Also I would like to learn more about "Docbook"
> and the methods used to create CSS enriched content documents.
>
> Historical Qualifications:
>
>          Most of my qualifications for this group would be in the
> technical writing that I have done for the company that I work for.  I
> manage an IT group for our engineering department.  I have written many
> technical and training documents for *nix and other Integrated Systems.
>          My Computer Skills are vast, and range from hardware to
> software and Networking, Systems Integration, embedded controllers,
> Micro controllers etc..  I have been working with computers since the
> mid '70s and have watched computer/software technology blossom into what
> it is today.
>          Other skills and hobbies include: Photography, Teaching,
> programming (Assembly, C, PASCAL, PHP, HTML, PERL, JAVA etc..), in
> general a technical nut! (techie)

Hi Robert!  Thanks for the nice self-introduction, and we look forward
to working with you.  You will probably want to sign up for a Fedora
account:

  https://admin.fedoraproject.org/accounts/

Once you've done that, and finished the CLA (Contributor License
Agreement), you can sign up for a Wiki account as well:

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/

If you're interested in a very quick overview of DocBook XML, you can
look at the article I wrote for Red Hat Magazine last month:

  http://www.redhat.com/magazine/016feb06/features/docbook_xml/

There's a bit more "wires and pliers" in the Documentation Guide, but
Karsten and I are soon going to start a major overhaul on that document
so it matches are updated processes.  We would welcome your help in
making sure that document is understandable to people who are new to the
project.  Many of us have been here too long to see it with fresh eyes!

Would you consider yourself a person who prefers to be assigned specific
work, or do you prefer to look around, find something that interests
you, and jump in?  In either case, welcome and please post to the list
with any questions or issues.  People here are friendly and interested
in your input.