A Modest Proposal for a New Guide

John Babich jmbabich at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 07:12:01 UTC 2006

On 11/13/06, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:

> See above -- You'll have much more traction if you import what we
> already have in the yum guide into the wiki.  You can expect more
> contribution with a more thorough coverage of the topic.  And we can
> worry about the DocBook porting after that, I suppose.

I am fine with using the yum guide as a basis for the "Installing and Updating
Software Guide". I've only done a few basic pages, so it's no big deal for me
to start over at this point.

Do we need any permission to "move" it from the Redhat site to the wiki?

> None of this addresses the problem of tag slippage between the wiki and
> DocBook.  The point of having a wiki -> DocBook converter was to get raw
> content done there, port it to DocBook, and then continue in DocBook as
> the canonical source for all future changes.  Moving stuff from DocBook
> -> wiki is a trivial problem; the reverse is practically impossible with
> current tools.

I found references to a DocBook->wiki conversion tool in the Summer of
Code section. I couldn't find any instructions on how to perform this function.
Can you do this or give me pointers on how it can be done?

John Babich