A Modest Proposal for a New Guide

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 19:53:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-11-13 at 10:12 +0300, John Babich wrote:
> On 11/13/06, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > See above -- You'll have much more traction if you import what we
> > already have in the yum guide into the wiki.  You can expect more
> > contribution with a more thorough coverage of the topic.  And we can
> > worry about the DocBook porting after that, I suppose.
>
> I am fine with using the yum guide as a basis for the "Installing and Updating
> Software Guide". I've only done a few basic pages, so it's no big deal for me
> to start over at this point.
>
> Do we need any permission to "move" it from the Redhat site to the wiki?

Absolutely not, it's really *our* space anyway.  You are free to use it
however you wish.  Consider this a "copy" operation for now, and we'll
copy your updates over in the near future, God willing and the creek
don't rise.

> > None of this addresses the problem of tag slippage between the wiki and
> > DocBook.  The point of having a wiki -> DocBook converter was to get raw
> > content done there, port it to DocBook, and then continue in DocBook as
> > the canonical source for all future changes.  Moving stuff from DocBook
> > -> wiki is a trivial problem; the reverse is practically impossible with
> > current tools.
>
> I found references to a DocBook->wiki conversion tool in the Summer of
> Code section. I couldn't find any instructions on how to perform this function.
> Can you do this or give me pointers on how it can be done?

I think we only finished the other side of that conversion (wiki -> DB),
but this side is actually less difficult.  Do you mind checking around
the lazyweb to see if someone else has done it already?