Introduction

Dan Smith draciron at gmail.com
Sun Nov 19 18:45:38 UTC 2006

>[snip lots of good quals]

Thank you.

I can see we are going to introduce you to some editing-for-brevity. ;-D

LOL.. Must admit it's a weak point of mine.

> I am a musician, and can also probably help with sound related stuff.
> > Security related stuff. Database related work. Server related
> > configuration.
>
> We've been doing most collaborative writing via the Wiki.  FWIW, XML in
> CVS is actually easier to collaborate on, but you just can't convince
> people of that when they are looking at a Wiki with an [Edit] button.
> So, I accept that. :)

Do I have rights to use the edit button yet? Is that the best place to
submit to first?
Which CVS should I use?
Any good tools for exporting to XML?  I can export to HTML easily enough.
Never had a need to export a document to XML before.

>From your intro, I can guess you might enjoy working on the 'Fedora
> Administration Guide', which is targeted at syadmins:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Drafts/AdministrationGuide

Took a look and have already started on two topics. Almost done with a first
draft actually on both. One was easy, the file system heirachy. I took the
approach with that of writing for novice and mid-level users. Advanced users
are going to already know the hiearchy or not going to really care or both
:)  I did delve into detail about areas that users are most likely to visit.
Would it be at all usefull to go into binaries that might be located in
those structures or would a high level desc and a reason why a user would be
interested in entering/using/what is normally contained in those dirs?  Not
sure if it's approrpriate but I stepped away from the official line and
described the dirs in terms of real life usage rather than the theoretical
but sometimes inaccurate purpose of certain dirs. /usr/local for example.
That is really the dumping grounds for apps. Half the world installs there
not the very specific apps which are supposed to install there. How many
games do you see installed in var/games? LOL. I have one. All the rest
install to places like /usr/local and /usr/share. My aim is for practical
use.

The other I am writing with all levels in mind. That is on storage and
partitions.

Questions.
How in depth should I go with LVM?  Right now I've stayed at a high level.
Why you'd want to use LVM and what NOT to use LVM for. I also speak heavily
of of LVM in common partitioning schemes.
What about uncommonly used file systems. Any point in going into any depth
with those?
Non-standard Fedora software, for example NTFS utilities. Should I just link
or should I spend some time on them?

References. If I want to refer a user to more detailed information on a
topic should I just link external, link to a stub article in the wiki or not
link at all?  An example, in the file system heiarchy I did find a page that
did a very good job of describing the traditional uses of the file systems.
Reminds me. Never did find out what the /sys dir is supposed to do. It's
there. No references to it in first ten pages from google. I've never used
it myself. Just know it's there. Have zero files in my FC6 and FC5 installs.
So no clue there. I found a reference for what the /srv dir does the only
other one I didn't know well. So if anybody knows what the /sys dir is used
for please let me know. Anyway  my question is should I link them there and
should I ask permission of the maintainer to link to them?

Any good templates to use? Currently all my stuff is in text.

OTOH, there are a few documents that are programming oriented, and which

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/developers-guide/

> (It should be called 'Developer Guide' instead of 'Developer's Guide'.)

:)  I'll take a look but I dropped C as a programming language about the
time Win95 came out. I still muddle through an occasional Python or Perl
script. Most of what I do nowdays is PHP, Gambas, CLIPs and stuff like
that.  Except for occasionally cussing at an occasional broken make file I
don't mess with C/C++ any more.  Nothing more frustrating than finding a
wicked app that does exactly what you need and it's using hard coded
references to obsolete lib versions or doesn't recognize the rpm installed
package of the dependancy :(

> Oh, never.  We don't want to repeat all that stuff that has been written
> already; a hyperlink is just so much easier to write.  Our focus is on
> Fedora, what is in Fedora, and what can be done with Fedora.  This is
> true whether the audience is newbies or deep-mode hackers.

Coolness.

> *schnore, zzzzzzz, snup* Huh, what?  Oh, yeah, thanks, good to meet you,
> too.  Come visit us on #fedora-docs on irc.freenode.net for questions or
> related-to-anything chat.

LOL...  Drac Slaps Karsten awake.

Coolness. Will deffinitely pull that up today. Dived right into writing
those two peieces. Just finally had to surface and check mail. That and get
my Wesnoth fix :)