Lest anyone think we're alone...

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Nov 26 00:46:28 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-11-25 at 23:27 +0300, John Babich wrote:

> Lurkers of the FOSS world, unite!

Yes.  This list is currently 578 members.  I believe that some of the
audience here are folks from various FLOSS projects.

With a well considered proposal, we can attract attention.  Articles in
LWN and Red Hat Magazine, attention via Fedora Weekly News (FWN) and
fedora-announce-list.  Talk it up in fedora-ambassadors and f-marketing,
get people representing the ideas (with a nice presentation?) at FLOSS
conferences around the world.  So, the potential is there, the machinery
to move an idea to reality is there.

> As for the rest of your reply, I am mulling over your response. My initial
> response is definitely to give more support to the Linux Documentation
> Project. This is another FOSS project to which I owe a great debt.

We may take another multi-prong approach, the key is to find a way to
make the UI common.  One Wiki to rule them all, with XML output to
unbind them, and SCM access to all.

Multi-prong:

* man/info pages and /usr/share/doc/*
* short content common to all distros (LDP)
* package specific guide content (how to use Evolution or Kmail, GNOME
or KDE common, all the way up to using Apache and SELinux
* Fedora-specific layers (i.e., project customization layer)

> I also like the Summit concept. I hope to map out a fairly clear spec on
> the FOSS toolchain. This entitles starting from a clear grasp of what is
> available right now.

Should you make a specific task we can track here?  This is for various
projects going on within the overall documentation program as run by the
FDSCo (FD Steering Committee):

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DocsProject/SteeringCommittee/TaskSchedule

Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project