[Fwd: [Fedora-marketing-list] idea on explaining the mp3 question]

Sam Folk-Williams samfw at redhat.com
Mon Oct 2 18:01:20 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 13:48 -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 18:16 +0100, Dimitrios Glezos wrote:
> > Sam's following mail gave me an idea: Provide the user with Fedora "tips
> > of the day" somewhere in the browser splash page (of course nothing
> > splashy or popup).

yeah this came up on the marketing list last week iirc. Paul's plug in
works great..

> What this is *really* telling me is that, as soon as the capability
> exists to host langified spaces on fedoraproject.org, we should use the
> browser splash to simply redirect online when possible to the fp.o front
> page.  If people can't use *THAT* as a home page/starting up point,
> there is something VERY WRONG with it.  (Like, blocker bug level.)

I agree we should do this. If we improve the fp.o front page to make it
have more attractive usability (and more useful info, less linkage
maybe) it could be a great starting page...

> And it fits in with my personal viewpoint that redundantly
> creating so many "start here!" pages, without trying to improve and
> build on existing stuff, is horribly inefficient and a bad use of
> resources.

Not sure if I'm missing something here. Why can't we just improve what
we have? How many "start here!" pages are there?

> --
Sam Folk-Williams, RHCE
Global Support Services