[Fwd: [Fedora-marketing-list] idea on explaining the mp3 question]

Dimitrios Glezos dimitris at glezos.com
Mon Oct 2 18:21:45 UTC 2006

Στις 02-10-2006, ημέρα Δευ, και ώρα 13:48 -0400, ο/η Paul W. Frields
έγραψε:
> On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 18:16 +0100, Dimitrios Glezos wrote:
> > Sam's following mail gave me an idea: Provide the user with Fedora "tips
> > of the day" somewhere in the browser splash page (of course nothing
> > splashy or popup).
> >
> > Post FC6 we can talk about how we can enhance the browser splash page,
> > among other doc things.
>
> I wrote a function for this in the wiki some time ago, hit "Reload" a
> few times to watch it work:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PaulWFrields/TipTest
>
> What this is *really* telling me is that, as soon as the capability
> exists to host langified spaces on fedoraproject.org, we should use the
> browser splash to simply redirect online when possible to the fp.o front
> page.  If people can't use *THAT* as a home page/starting up point,
> there is something VERY WRONG with it.  (Like, blocker bug level.)
>
> This all fits in with Max's wish that our front page at fp.o be a little
> more eye-catching and in tune with what many other FOSS projects are
> doing.  And it fits in with my personal viewpoint that redundantly
> creating so many "start here!" pages, without trying to improve and
> build on existing stuff, is horribly inefficient and a bad use of
> resources.

I agree that we should fix the FP web page so that it can be more
eye-catching and usable and that we should try as much as possible to
have a consistent attitude about our resources and information. I'll try
to submit some suggestions for wiki CSS changes and probably some
content guidelines ala-wikipedia post-FC6.

On the other hand, at some points there are clearly different targets
and a one-size-fits-all approach, even though more maintainable, can
only be *less* usable for the end user. The Fedora homepage should, for
example, be an entry point for many people (users, developers,
journalists) to the Fedora Project. The user's browser splash page
should be an entry point for the user (one) to the use of his (own)
desktop and the Internet. Another difference could be that the tips
showing in the browser splash page should be tips for a smooth system
operation and desktop use while tips in FP homepage could contain tips
for the Fedora Project, it's groups etc.

So, I see it as an aggregation, not as content duplication. This need
for personal content aggregation is also shown from the customized
homepages Google and other providers provide.

Anyway. We can talk about it after FC6 I guess.

-dim

--
Dimitris Glezos
http://dimitris.glezos.com/