[Fwd: [Fedora-marketing-list] idea on explaining the mp3 question]

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 2 18:42:22 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 19:21 +0100, Dimitrios Glezos wrote:
> Στις 02-10-2006, ημέρα Δευ, και ώρα 13:48 -0400, ο/η Paul W. Frields
> έγραψε:
> > On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 18:16 +0100, Dimitrios Glezos wrote:
> > > Sam's following mail gave me an idea: Provide the user with Fedora "tips
> > > of the day" somewhere in the browser splash page (of course nothing
> > > splashy or popup).
> > >
> > > Post FC6 we can talk about how we can enhance the browser splash page,
> > > among other doc things.
> >
> > I wrote a function for this in the wiki some time ago, hit "Reload" a
> > few times to watch it work:
> >
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PaulWFrields/TipTest
> >
> > What this is *really* telling me is that, as soon as the capability
> > exists to host langified spaces on fedoraproject.org, we should use the
> > browser splash to simply redirect online when possible to the fp.o front
> > page.  If people can't use *THAT* as a home page/starting up point,
> > there is something VERY WRONG with it.  (Like, blocker bug level.)
> >
> > This all fits in with Max's wish that our front page at fp.o be a little
> > more eye-catching and in tune with what many other FOSS projects are
> > doing.  And it fits in with my personal viewpoint that redundantly
> > creating so many "start here!" pages, without trying to improve and
> > build on existing stuff, is horribly inefficient and a bad use of
> > resources.
>
> I agree that we should fix the FP web page so that it can be more
> eye-catching and usable and that we should try as much as possible to
> have a consistent attitude about our resources and information. I'll try
> to submit some suggestions for wiki CSS changes and probably some
> content guidelines ala-wikipedia post-FC6.
>
> On the other hand, at some points there are clearly different targets
> and a one-size-fits-all approach, even though more maintainable, can
> only be *less* usable for the end user. The Fedora homepage should, for
> example, be an entry point for many people (users, developers,
> journalists) to the Fedora Project. The user's browser splash page
> should be an entry point for the user (one) to the use of his (own)
> desktop and the Internet. Another difference could be that the tips
> showing in the browser splash page should be tips for a smooth system
> operation and desktop use while tips in FP homepage could contain tips
> for the Fedora Project, it's groups etc.
>
> So, I see it as an aggregation, not as content duplication. This need
> for personal content aggregation is also shown from the customized
> homepages Google and other providers provide.
>
> Anyway. We can talk about it after FC6 I guess.

There are other entry points I was talking about, including the
per-subproject points.  The browser splash itself is still a necessary
piece, and I like having it.  I would like to see it tie in with a more
useful entry point on the net that offers all that and a bag of chips.
Giving the user a simple but rich set of choices for what information
they'd like to get, and making it available at their home page, would be
ideal.  (Yes, many technologies exist to get us there, we should use
them!)