small makes big

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Sun Oct 8 21:54:01 UTC 2006

Just a note to be clear, since at least Dimitris had some questions
about the intent here.

<glezos> quaid, what I wanted to say (after re-reading the discussions)
is that, indeed it might be difficult to handle a huge file. But, it
might not be really difficult to coordinate the docs (cross-links, no
duplicated content) so that at a point they might get bundled together.
<glezos> What I didn't understand is whether you would be interested in
such an approach.. Small, indivitual docs that complement each other and
that could make one whole, self-contained at some point.

That is exactly what we want here.  Small, individual documents that
are:

* Written in a consistent style;
* Follow standard conventions;
* Have complementary topics;
* Stand alone, yet
* Fit into a whole

One outcome of this should be a Fedora (Beginners) Handbook, a
comprehensive guide to all things for new to Linux/new to Fedora users.

A big challenge here is having a document self-identify with a certain
experience level of user, and then *keep all material within that
level*.

For example, if we decide beginners really need minimal CLI interaction,
then anything that is written to fit into a beginners handbook needs to
follow that convention.

Before we begin a break-out group to discuss and decide on all this
separately, lets explore this on-list a little longer.

Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project