Firefox splash page tracker

Sam Folk-Williams samfw at redhat.com
Sat Sep 30 15:05:46 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-30 at 00:17 -0500, Robert 'Bob' Jensen wrote:
> Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:
> > On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >
> >> How will a hit counter tell us what types of users they are?
> >
> > It will tell us they're desktop users.
> >
> > --g

> > Greg DeKoenigsberg || Fedora Project || fedoraproject.org
> > Be an Ambassador || http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Ambassadors
>
> I can not support this idea, IMO it is to late in the release process to
> work out all the logistics and potential problems in the time we have. I
> feel that the potential problems and community repercussions will far
> out weigh the minor benefits from a "half assed" attempt at getting to
> know our user base.
>
> If we have a vote in this I say "NO"
>
> I feel that if we would like to gather information about our user base
> we should think about the bigger picture and create a survey for the FC7
> release. This may allow us to get real information and opinions from the
> users with out the risk of offending anyone.

+1 on this. I think this is too rushed and un-thought-out. I don't
really see how this could really be such a benefit, but I do see the
potential for confusion/offense among some users. Personally I wouldn't
care, but objectively speaking I could see how people would think it was
a little questionable.

So, I vote "no" as well. If we start working now, we can have something
much better for FC7, which really isn't far away.

Sam