DUG: Connecting to the Internet page skipped...

Jonathan Roberts jonathan.roberts.uk at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 12 08:47:19 UTC 2007

> As for the vision, my eyesight's a little cloudy right now. I envision a core
> of common topics, such as OpenOffice.org and Firefox, with special
> sections on the particulars of GNOME, KDE, etc. A KDE example would
> be Konqueror. Of course, the GNOME, KDE and Xfce applications can be
> run from any window manager (with the required libraries installed).

Would the best place to start be to try and draw up a comprehensive
list of topics (or perhaps I should say tasks) that should be covered?
Might be interesting to ask on the forums to get users feedback on
what are the common tasks they do...

> I'm open to any ideas on the best way to organize the material. Some
> possibilities are:
>
> 1. Separate guides for GNOME and KDE. Xfce will be included if time
>     permits. Obviously, there will be a great amount of overlap among the
>     different guides. I believe these common topics are best handled
>     by "includes" in both the wiki and DocBook versions.
>
> 2. A single guide which points out which apps are "native" to which
>     window manager, but emphasizes that they can mix and match
>     apps as desired, again with the required libraries installed.

I think it's worth considering that the guides may be used by people
who might not realise the difference between Gnome and KDE, in which
case I think an integrated approach might be better as would help to
make this clear.

Jon