DUG: Connecting to the Internet page skipped...

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Apr 12 15:56:46 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-12 at 09:47 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:

> I think it's worth considering that the guides may be used by people
> who might not realise the difference between Gnome and KDE, in which
> case I think an integrated approach might be better as would help to
> make this clear.

I would extend this further to guess that those who aren't aware of the
window manager differences use the default (GNOME).  So, this actually
gives them an introduction to equivalency in KDE.

How about a structure similar to this?

= Task Foo =

== Foo in Default Desktop ==

<GNOME how to foo>

== Foo in KDE Desktop ==

<KDE how to foo>

== Foo in Xfce ==

<Xfce how to foo>

This fairly simple structure allows default,
don't-want-anything-different users to skim from topic to topic without
being "distracted" by the non-default.  At the same time, the
non-default is given equivalency.

By making all of our tasks stubbed out in this fashion, it makes it
easier for a KDE-knowledgeable contributor to know where to fill in the
blanks.

Karsten Wade, RHCE, 108 Editor    ^     Fedora Documentation Project